About me

I am an active composer, music teacher, and organizer of music events. I share an occasional Music as Meditation concert with listeners and fellow musicians and I organize several concerts of new music each year. I use this blog to tell people about my musical endeavors and as a home for my virtual busking basket. If you want to support my musical efforts financially, please look for the donate button on the right-hand side of this page. You can find pages about The Davis Hill Studio on this blog. Look for the orange links on the right-hand side of the page.

Thursday, July 18, 2024

An Off-To-College/Album Release Concert



I have been teaching music in Conway for more than 20 years. Maisie Brown has been my student for 13 years and Kaitlyn Sakash for 10 years. I often tell my students that I want them to become independent musicians. These two young ladies have achieved that in spades. On July 21, we will celebrate with an off-to-college/album release concert featuring classical solo piano music. Kaitlyn is headed for UNH's honors program in the fall. Her path there will include music, as well as dance and a wide array of academic interests. Maisie is headed for Brown University, where she will begin an open curriculum liberal arts program that includes music and academics. I will stay here and keep writing and teaching. 

Kaitlyn and Maisie achieved a high level of musical acumen and artistry while studying in my studio. Both young women tackled canon piano pieces and play them with expression and individuality. At the concert, to be played on the Steinway at The Little White Church in Eaton, Kaitlyn will showcase her penchant for Chopin with her interpretation of the Raindrop Prelude and the Nocturne in E flat major. Maisie's set will include a piece from the baroque era by Domenico Scarlatti and a movement of a Mozart Sonata. 

I often write piano pieces for fun. The original piano pieces I will play reflect those that Maisie and Kaitlyn will play; alements from pieces I play or teach often make their way into my music. I am in the process of publishing an album--that is, a book of notated piano pieces--dedicated to students I have had the privilege of teaching over the years.

The Little White Church in Eaton, New Hampshire is a perfect place for this celebratory concert. With its rebuilt Steinway and its visually beautiful space, the church offers a peaceful opportunity to listen to music. The concert begins at 4:00 P.M. on Sunday, July 21st. The concert is free to attend; donations are welcome and will benefit The Little White Church and its upkeep of the beautiful Steinway. Hand fans and ice cold water will be available. For more information e-mail ellen.m.schwindt@gmail.com. 


No comments:

Post a Comment