About me

I am an active composer, music teacher, and organizer of music events. I share an occasional Music as Meditation concert with listeners and fellow musicians and I organize several concerts of new music each year. I use this blog to tell people about my musical endeavors and as a home for my virtual busking basket. If you want to support my musical efforts financially, please look for the donate button on the right-hand side of this page. You can find pages about The Davis Hill Studio on this blog. Look for the orange links on the right-hand side of the page.

Monday, April 27, 2015



This is what's coming up--I get to play some of my music in my hometown! Two chamber works anchor the program. First is a trio I wrote for my friends in 2012. Now new friends and former teachers will get to play it! You can listen to it here: Trio for Flute, Saxophone, and Piano
The players in this recording are Mike Sakash on Saxophone, Julia Hendrickson on flute, and me on piano.

Gayle McMillen, who tried to teach me something about Jazz piano many long summers ago will play the piano. David Higbee will play saxophone, and Julia Lankhorst will play flute. I can't wait to hear it interpreted by new players!

The other large chamber work on the program is my string quartet. I premiered it on January 24th with my friends Larry Blaine on violin, Doug Kendall on cello and Chris Nourse on viola. I played second violin.

In the concert my former teacher Susan Higbee will play cello, Ann Samuelson will play first violin, and Karen Chapman, current strings teacher in Salina will play viola. I can't wait to play with Susan and with my new friends in Salina. The piece depicts some interior landscapes in what I hope is kind of psychologically programmatic way. It's called Four Modes of Consciousness: Trouble, Resolve, Industry, Quiet. One of my friends suggested I make a repeat sign at either ends of the descriptions of consciousness be part of the title--I know what she means. We humans seem to cycle through these stages over and over again.

You can listen to it here: Four Modes of Consciousness: Trouble, Resolve, Industry, Quiet

I hope you can join us on June 21st in Salina for the concert. If not, stay tuned to this blog for some documentary recordings after the fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment